- 80% of churches in the US have either plateaued or are declining
- 16% are growing
- 4% are multiplying (starting other congregations and churches) – of these 4%, only half are from planting churches, the other 2% are from church splits
- 0% are movements (that impact culture and society)
- The real solution isn’t to make new churches, but through making disciples
1 Sam 10:5-7
- Saul: looks at the natural (big army, is intimidated)
- David: sees natural and spiritual battle- knows he was equipped and prepared to win the battle (after spending time and developing a relationship with the God of the universe).
There are mountains of God throughout culture (who are influenced by the devil, sometimes)
- arts and entertainment
- Sometimes the devil beats us to those mountains and starts dictating about the Kingdom of Darkness
- We need to go into these mountains and influence them with the values, principles, and power of the Kingdom of God.
Old way to make disciples: call people to believe, expect them to behave, and then they can belong.
Jesus’ way: make people feel like they belong, then (over time) people will start behaving and copying Jesus, and then they start believing.
- Make people feel like they belong while around/with you (don’t judge, but compromise your beliefs, though). They will start to ask questions and inquire and believe in God.